This website is no longer being maintained. For the latest news, events, and information, please visit http://www.materials.drexel.edu/.
Dr. Mitra Taheri
Hoeganaes Assistant Professor of Metallurgy
Office: LeBow 441
Visit Group Website
- Directorate Postdoctoral Fellowship, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Chemistry, Materials and Life Sciences Division, 2006-2008, and Guest Scientist, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, National Center for Electron Microscopy, 2006-2008 (Advisor: Nigel D. Browning)
- National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowship, Naval Research Laboratory, 2005-2006 (Advisor: Rhonda M. Stroud)
- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, 2005 (Advisor: Anthony D. Rollett)
- Visiting Scientist, National Center for Electron Microscopy, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California, 2004-2005 (Advisor: Eric A. Stach, currently at Purdue University)
- Visiting Scientist, Northwestern Center for Atom Probe Tomography, Northwestern University, 2005 (Advisor: David N. Seidman)
- Visiting Scientist, RWTH-Aachen, Aachen, Germany, 2002 (Advisors: Dimitri A. Molodov & Günter Gottstein)
- National Research Council Postdoctoral Award, 2005
- Elected to Sigma Xi Research Honor Society, 2005
- Materials Research Society Graduate Student Medal, 2004
- NSF-Sponsored Visiting Scientist, Institut für Metallkunde und Metallphysik RWTH-Aachen, Germany, July 2002,
- US Steel Graduate Fellowship, 2001-2002
- Small Undergraduate Research Grant (SURG), 2000-2001
- "All Conference", 1999, NCAA UAA, Track and Field
- The American Physical Society (APS)
- Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Honor Society
- American Society of Metals (ASM)
- The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS)
- Materials Research Society (CMU Chapter President and Founder)
- Computational Materials Science Network
- The American Ceramic Society (Acers)
- Development of the Ultrafast Dynamic Transmission Electron Microscope (DTEM) for the study the microstructural evolution in nanostructured materials, including Al Alloys, GaN nanowires and Silicon nanowires.
- The use of various in-situ Transmission Electron Microscopy techniques:
- In-situ TEM annealing and laser-induced transformations using the DTEM. The primary focus of research is the laser-assisted nucleation, growth and microstructural analysis of nanostructures, and structural transformations in metals, such as grain boundary faceting-defacting transitions.
- In-situ TEM-based deformation and nanoindentation of nanostructured metallic and ceramic materials.
- In-Situ TEM-based electrical biasing of conducting materials including nanowires and nanotubes.
- In-Situ Environmental TEM for various heterogeneous catalysis studies.
- M. Taheri, E.E. Carpenter, V. Cestone, M.M. Miller, M.F. Raphael, M.E. McHenry and V.G. Harris, “Magnetism and Structure of ZnxFe3–xO4 Films Processed via Spin-Spray Deposition,” J. Appl. Phys. 91, 7595-7597 (2002)
- S.Son, M. Taheri, E.E. Carpenter, V.G. Harris and M.E. McHenry, “Synthesis of Ferrite and Nickel Ferrite Nanoparticles Using Radio-Frequency Thermal Plasma Torch,” J. Appl. Phys. 91, 7589-7591 (2002)
- A.D. Rollett, M.L. Taheri, and B.S. El-Dasher, “Texture Dependent Measurement of Crystallization Kinetics Using Electron Backscatter Diffraction,” Proceedings of Plasticity ’02, eds. A.S. Khan and O. Lopez-Pamies, Neat Press, MD, 2002, pp.42-44
- M.L. Taheri, A.D. Rollett, and H. Weiland, “In-Situ Quantification of Solute Effects on Grain Boundary Mobility and Character in Aluminum Alloys During Recrystallization,” Materials Science Forum 467-470 (2004) 997-1002
- M.L. Taheri, A.D. Rollett and H. Weiland, “In-Situ Investigation of Grain Boundary Mobility and Character in Aluminum Alloys in the Presence of a Stored Energy Driving Force,” Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., 819 (2004) N6.5.
- M.L. Taheri, Eric Stach, V.R. Radmilovic, H. Weiland and A.D. Rollett, “In-Situ Electron Microscopy Studies of the Effect of Zr on Grain Boundary Anisotropy and Mobility in an Aluminum Alloy,” Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., (2004) P7.7.
- M.L. Taheri, J. Sebastian, D.N. Seidman, and A.D. Rollett, “Evidence for Solute Drag during Recrystallization of Aluminum Alloys”, Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., (2005) EE 6.5/BB6.5
- M.L.Taheri, D.Molodov, G.Gottstein and A.D.Rollett, “Grain Boundary Mobility under a Stored Energy Driving Force: A Comparison to Curvature-Driven Boundary Migration”, Zeitschrift für Metallkunde, 96 (2005) 10, 1166-1170.
- M. Taheri, A.D. Rollett and H. Weiland, “A Method of Measuring Stored Energy Macroscopically using Statistically Stored Dislocations in Commercial Purity Aluminum,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions 37A (2006) 19-25.
- Zolensky, M. et al., “Mineralogy and petrology of Comet Wild-2 nucleus samples - Final results of the preliminary examination team,” Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41(8): A167-A167, 2006
- Brownlee, D. et al., “Comet 81P/Wild 2 Under a Microscope,” Science, 15 Dec, Vol. 314. no. 5806, pp. 1711 – 1716 (2006)
- Zolensky, M et al., “Mineralogy and Petrology of Comet 81P/Wild 2 Nucleus Samples,” Science, 15 Dec, Vol. 314. no. 5806, pp. 1735 – 1739 (2006)
- B. Simpkins, M. L. Taheri, R.M. Stroud and P. Pehrsson, “Diameter Control of GaN Nanowires,” J. Appl. Phys. 101, 094305 (2007).
- A. Brahme, ML Taheri, M. Alvi & AD Rollett, “Boundary Segment Method to Estimate Stored Energy from EBSD Maps,” Scripta Materialia, accepted (2007)
- M.L. Taheri, J. Sebastian, V. Radmilovic, N. Zaluzec, D. Seidman, E.A. Stach and A.D. Rollett, “Studies of the Effect of Solute Segregation on the Anisotropy, Mobility and Chemistry of Grain Boundaries: Direct In-Situ Observations from the Meso- to the Atomic Scale,” Acta Materialia, submitted (2007).
- M.L. Taheri, B. Simpkins, P. Pehrsson and R.M. Stroud, “In-Situ STM-TEM Studies of GaN Nanowires,” in preparation.
- M.L. Taheri, B.W. Reed, T.B. Lagrange & N.D. Browning, “In-Situ Synthesis of Nanowires in the Dynamic TEM,” in preparation.
- M.L. Taheri, J.T. Sebastian, B.W. Reed, D.N. Seidman and A.D. Rollett, “A Site-Specific Method for Atomic Scale Analysis of Solute Segregation to a Coincidence Site Lattice Grain Boundary,” in preparation.
- M.L. Taheri, W.S. Wong, M. Herrera & N.D. Browning, “In-Situ Analysis of the Vapor-Liquid-Solid Growth Mechanism in GaN Nanowires: A Staged Approach,” in preparation.
- M.L. Taheri, J.P. Lu, N. Teslich & N.D. Browning, “Ultrafast imaging of the Crystallization of a-Si for TFT Applications,” in preparation.
Last updated Friday, June 6, 2008